Tuesday, August 19, 2003

At the risk of jeopardizing my one post a month schedule, I feel like writing something here. An anecdote. Walking back from lunch, sidewalk, I stretched out my hand and trailed it through a hedge... then, suddenly, the woman walking in front of me did exactly the same thing. A startlement. A single thought, impulse, in 2 people unaware of one another, to do the same thing, at more or less the same time. Not an unusual thing to do (to trail your hand through a shrubbery), but not an automatic response either. Especially as one would have had to take a step to the right to reach the hedge, and both of us did. Odd.

On an unrelated note: a Mercedes SUV - big boxy ugly thing - black, this one. Ugly as a Hummer, though not quite that absurd looking on a city street... still, plenty ugly. Mercedes? they should know better.

I have seen worse things - not uglier, just dumber. Porsche also makes an SUV. It looks like aregular Porsche, but puffed up to 200 scale. You feel 10 years old next to it. You feel as if your eyes are deceiving you, that you're too close or something. The scale is off. It doesn't look like an SUV... The Mercedes at least doesn't look like a car.

For no particular reason, then, I conclude with a dream image: driving a car, stick shift, what was probably a 50s or 60s Buick. The sense in the dream that this was all wrong - that I was a child when my family had this car, so I should not be driving it. Though I don't know if we ever had that car. Big boxy thing. Stick shift. Light blue. Driving it down a steep hill, around tight curves. That's all there was to the dream. I mention it because it gave me the same sense of the scale being off (in the dream, too small) that the Porsche SUV gave me. Thank you.

I promise not to make a habit of posting dreams.

No comments: