Friday, March 26, 2004

I don't have a lot to offer just now. Rearranged my computers, desks, etc., in hopes of making some space for myself. Uh huh. So this post - rare as any post may be - will be devoted to some interesting blogs to look at. And timely, topical stuff.

Check out The Panda's Thumb - a group science blog devoted to countering "intelligent design" ideas - you know, creationists with their fingers crossed. It's interesting and informative and worth reading, even if you aren't in a tizzy over the ID crowd...

Meanwhile, none other than Noam Chomsky has a blog. The introductory note is rather oddly phrased:

This blog will include brief comments on diverse topics of concern in our time. They will sometimes come from the ZNet sustainer forum system where Noam interacts through a forum of his own, sometimes from direct submissions, sometimes culled from mail and other outlets -- always from Noam Chomsky.

That leads me to suspect that someone other than Mr. Chomsky is sitting at the keyboard - many of the entries indeed look "culled from mail and other outlets" - they lack the direct address style blogs have - but that is hardly a problem. There's some interesting stuff on it. I don't care how radical Chomsky is - if I'm gonna read the radical fringe, it might as well be on the left.

And finally, to completely contradict that last, fake snarky comment... I have not been reading it, but I am aware of it - who can't be? And am startled to realize that the fateful day has arrived: the 300th issue of Cerebus, by the (possibly mad) Dave Sim. I haven't read it - or rather, only read the first phone book - back in the mid-90s, which explains, of course, why I haven't read the rest. By the time I started reading comics fairly seriously, Sim had already gone round the bend - he was already starting to become a joke. And - the first book, though entertaining, was not quite to my tastes - I fell hard for Love and Rockets, for Terry and the Pirates and Wash Tubbs, and artsy fartsy stuff from Kim Deitch to Joe Sacco to Chris Ware. But - 300 friggin' issues, self-published - and it sure is a great looking comic... One of these days, I will have to read it, at least up to the point where poor Dave loses his marbles.

Catch a great essay on Cerebus and Mr. Sim at (inevitably) Long Story, Short Pier.

No comments: