This is in the way of another experiment. Seems to be working pretty well. Listening to Radiohead, OK Computer just now. This is their masterpiece, they all say. I am less convinced. Has moments, but things tend to blend together. Subterranean Homesick Alien stands out - Electioneering has a nice guitar sound - but the rest seems just adaquate. I think I am more interested in their later records - parts of Kid A are hypnotic and thrilling, and the first half of Amnesiac almost justifies their reputation. "I'm a reasonable man get off my case" - for a while there, I can imagine being a Radiohead fan.
All that is a way of not saying anything about Hail to the Thief. I think I like it. How much, how long I continue to like it, I don't know. The odd thing about Radiohead is that, really, they come off as a kind of easy listening for clever people - when you're worn out from the rigors of something intense, raw, challenging - take your pick - you can listen to Radiohead and relax. Soothing, a bit dull, not insulting to your intelligence, with occasional moments of grace... But not something you listen to quite on its own merits.
Monday, June 16, 2003
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment