Tuesday, September 02, 2003

A friend of mine, a college buddy, drinking buddy, died in Iraq over the weekend. Why was he there? No war is a good war, but this war is particularly bad. 284, I think, Americans dead - 50 or so of our allies' soldiers - and thousands of Iraqis dead - and no WMDs, no African uranium, no ties to Al Qaeda, and no end in sight.

I've had some time to absorb it, so this is sliding toward rationality and politics. I didn't start that way. I can't say that knowing someone has made it more real - politically, at least, nothing has changed - this war was adisaster from day one - starting this war was a disaster for us, the Iraqis, the world - but still.... I am selfish enough to hope that whatever happened my friend would make it back.

I'm sorry.

No comments: