Living in a vacuum makes this poor blog starve away to nothing. I have nothign here to add, though I won't let that stop me. Actualy, I'm lying - I have something to say. Sort of. You know. Baseball! the playoffs, only 3 days away - and the End of the world series still a possibility. Go Astros! Cubs and Red Sox both in the playoffs? and the Cubbies with the best rotation in the post-season, the Sox with the best offense, and Pedro Martinez? Be very afraid, my brothers.
It occurs to me that, beyond the pssibility of supernatural forces unleased by such a contest, to lose that would series would itself be something like the end of the world. Imagine, losing to the Cubs! hat would be the ultimate humiliation, the clear unmistakable sign that the world is ruled by a cruel and hateful Yankees fan. Would it be as bad going the other way? Probably - imagine being the team that dispels the curse of the Bambino - imagine it if you are a Cubs fan. Somehow, being confirmed as the biggest losers in the universe can't be a comfort.
I don't think it's coming. I would not be surprised to see the Crimson Hose in the series, but I suspect they will enact their usual exciting defeat, probably to the Giants - though knowing the Sox, they will find some way to top 1986. Maybe give up 6 runs in the first, then score 7 in the bottom of the 8th to take a lead, then, with one on and no one out, up a run, they'll decide to let Alan Embree pitch to Barry Bonds - who'll bounce one off the Ted Williams seat in right field. No - being beaten is better than giving it away (though you wouldn't catch me throwing a pitch to Barry Bonds with a game on the line) - there's no disgrace in that...
Saturday, September 27, 2003
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment