Thursday, October 16, 2003

I don't usually write about things like this - the state of feminism, or whatever it is - snce it is not my forte, andmy opinions tend to be both second hand and derivative. But Salon is running a series about marriage, and today has an article about women keeping their names when they marry. Rather, not keeping their names. It's a strange article - a series of rationalizations by wome who consider themselves feminists (and who usually walk the walk) but changed their names - that's the main thrust. Now it's a choice - now it's easier - now it's sharing something with your husband - moving away from your father - not "losing" a name, "gaining" a name. I can't say a word of it flies - it's one way - men don't change their names when they marry, so if the woman does - then you cannot escape the fact that - men don't change their names, women do.

I can't say I have much to offer to this. Certainly, almost every woman I know who is married changed her name when she married - sometimes with gassy proclamations of love and, whatever it is, sometimes without much comment. Most of these women, I admit, are at least somewhat conservative, and most of them married men more conservative then they are - but obviously, this happens throughout society. It doesn't seem to change how people act. It seems, mostly, to be a convenience - it's what peopel expect, and if you don't go along with it, people ask questions, and maybe women do't want to have to defend every single thing they do. But still - it's a double standard that everyone seems to take for granted. It always disappoints me a bit when a woman changes her name. I always feel as if they have publically announced that they aren't quite as good as me.

No comments: