Thursday, January 22, 2004

I don't have anything really interesting to say today. I suppose I could think of something to say about the Iowa Caucuses or State of the Union Address, but I don't have much to add. Here's the SOTU with comments from the Center for American Progress. For primary season coverage, everyone has an opinion, no one seems to be distancing themselves from the pack - though Campaign Desk deserves a special place, for their fairly narrow focus on coverage of the race. What else?

I can get worked up about the fate of Maher Arar - I posted about it back in November, when a story appeared in the Washington Post - he's a Syrian/Canadian, arrested, deported to Syria, and possibly tortured... It's starting to heat up - a story on 60 Minutes - controversy in Canada over leaks (story here; investigation of the journalist who wrote it here). The best source of info is the Obsidian Wings blog, which has been commenting on the story daily. Much detail, many links. This is one of the more appalling stories one is likely to come across - if it's true, and the evidence is looking good. An innocent man sent to Syria to be tortured on our behalf. It's tempting to quote W: "After the chaos and carnage of September the 11th, it is not enough to serve our enemies with legal papers." - Yes, we have to deport them to Syria to have them tortured. Christ.

And, just as an added offense - in the Boston Globe we get a story of Republicans hacking into Democratic computers. Cute.

This has become very negative. So leave you with a blog I've been reading a lot of lately - World O' Crap offers up plenty o' comedy at the expense of the right wingers, and sometimes Star Wars...

No comments: