Strange things happen on the internet - is spam poetry one of the strangest? It isn't just it's existence - it's that it is, in fact, fascinating to read. Sites that talk about it (like this, Spam as folk art, site, or bloggers like Scott Rosenburg, where I found these links) seem to be most fascinated by the subject lines - and with cause... But what strikes me are the chunks of text they have in the body of the messages to screw with the filters. God, they're beautiful! "hank offenbach menlo occultation bendix ok bodybuilder scot pony asteroidal" - add a couple commas and what can you have? "Giggle, crusty contentious Salvatore, coercible mythology apostate, decomposable figurate companion"... Mix and match and surrealism is in easy reach - "runaway Callahan, homeric freetown homosexual communicant, egocentric pallid constantinople remembrance, incense drunken compartment celeste midscale adherent forfend.... chaperon nitrous homeowner reserve, barricade excess lavender inward" - I mean....
Found art, found objects, recombined or not, both - recombining is, probably, half the fun - take a big random chunk of text and rearrange it into sense - now that is a project. Why not? Let the spammers provide you with the raw materials, you, oh reader (or I, humble blogger), can be charged with making what I (you we) can of it.
I'm feeling all John Cage all over. Oh! characteristic fitful aphasic precept! certified draft lacuna; cheek!
Monday, January 12, 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment