Wednesday, May 14, 2003

I feel obliged to write something for this publication, even though I have nothing to say. Thus another post about havng nothing to say. I could write about nostalgia - I cleaned out a closet at work the other day, found some relics from a simpler, happier computer age. A tape backup drive from 1990 or 91; an old projector - a monstrous beast of a thing, used mirrors to project the image, cost - god knows what, new. Probably still works, but why bother? Blogging, when I started reading blogs, reminded me of the first year or so of the world wide web - when it seemed there was a disproportionate number of very individualized home pages. That stuff - the personal stuff - disappeared, at least faded into the background for a while. Blogging brought it back. I speak purely anecdotally, but, as a surfer, from 96, or 97 on, I spent most of my time on the web on news sites, information and index sites (IMDB, Yahoo, etc.) - or just using the web to access other internet services - usenet, for instance. But with blogs, the focus has shifted back to the individual writers - and these days, that's the most interesting part of the web.

No comments: