Thursday, May 15, 2003
It is significantly less satisfying to write from home than from work. It's a blog, it should be timely. I didn't read comic books very often when I was a child. Posting from work gives me a jolt of nostalgia. No one who might read this wants to read whatever comes into my head, they want something related to the world we share. When I did read comics, I enjoyed them, but I never bothered to follow up on them. I first discovered online message boards at work. They want news, opinions, links. I might read a Spiderman, or a Fantastic Four, and at the end, they would be in the middle of some terrible dilemma, and I would want desperately to find out how they got out of this one, but I never bothered to buy the next issue, or track down someone who had it - and I usually forgot about it within a day or so. There was a bulletin board on one of the Vaxes at work, and I started participating - talking about baseball, books, movies, music, what have you. The last thing they want is self-indulgent formal games, right? There were a couple comics that had more affect - the Kiss comic, for instance. That lasted until the 92 elections, when the fighing and backbiting got so bad it disrupted people doing their jobs, so the company shut the boards down. If they did want that, they'd want it Matrix Related wouldn't they? Music mattered much more to me than comic books - so, for that matter, did regular books, television... They claimed they were "improving" the boards - they didn't really shut them down, they just started regulating them. Unfortunately, the last thing I read of interest in the world was the John Romita interview in The Comics Journal. What I really with I'd found, when was young, were Hardy Boys comics. They dumped the politics boards, the TV boards (after a big fight over Sinead O'Connor's Pope ripping episode) and so on. I can't blame John Romita for this post though. I have a couple Hardy Boys comics, actually, stuck in a box somewhere - they suck, putting it bluntly. But not long after they dumped all that stuff, I discovered AOL and the internet, and all was well. I think I'm lost. So goodbye goodbye goodbye.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment